The Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting for 2023 are bound into this book. This code book contains the complete updated 2023 code set along with updated guidelines.
ICD-10-CM 2023: The Complete Official Code Book provides the entire updated code set for diagnostic coding, organized to make the challenge of accurate coding easier. This code book is the cornerstone for establishing medical necessity, correct documentation, determining coverage and ensuring appropriate reimbursement.
Official 2023 coding guidelines are included in this ICD10 code book.
Each of the 22 chapters in the Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is organized to provide quick and simple navigation to facilitate accurate coding. The book also contains supplementary appendixes including a coding tutorial, pharmacology listings, a list of valid three-character codes and additional information on Z-codes for long-term drug use and Z-codes that can only be used as a principal diagnosis.
New features to AMA’s 2023 ICD-10-CM code book:
- Chapter 22 features U-codes and coronavirus disease (COVID-19) codes.
- Improved icon placement for ease of use
Additional resources to enhance this illustrated 2023 ICD-10-CM:
- Full list of code changes. Quickly see the complete list of new, revised, and deleted codes affecting the CY2023 codes, including a conversion table and code changes by specialty.
- QPP symbol in the tabular section. The symbol identifies diagnosis codes associated with Quality Payment Program (QPP) measures under MACRA.
- New and updated coding tips. Obtain insight into coding for physician and outpatient settings.
- New and updated definitions in the tabular listing. Assign codes with confidence based on illustrations and definitions designed to highlight key components of the disease process or injury and provide better understanding of complex diagnostic terms.
- Intuitive features and format. This edition includes color illustrations and visual alerts, including color-coding and symbols that identify coding notes and instructions, additional character requirements, codes associated with CMS hierarchical condition categories (HCC), Medicare Code Edits (MCEs), manifestation codes, other specified codes, and unspecified codes.
- Placeholder X. This icon alerts the coder to an important ICD-10-CM convention—the use of a “placeholder X” for three-, four- and five-character codes requiring a seventh character extension.
- Coding guideline explanations and examples. Detailed explanations and examples related to application of the ICD-10-CM chapter guidelines are provided at the beginning of each chapter in the tabular section.
- Muscle/tendon translation table. This table is used to determine muscle/tendon action (flexor, extensor, other), which is a component of codes for acquired conditions and injuries affecting the muscles and tendons
- Index to Diseases and Injuries. Shaded guides to show indent levels for subentries.
- Appendices. Supplement your coding knowledge with information on proper coding practices, risk-adjustment coding, pharmacology, and Z-codes.